Monday, June 16, 2014

The Magic Scepter

Things I thought I read vs. what I really read in the last few days:

10% off Opium Cereals (Optimum Cereals, which I really don't understand anyway)
Happy Father's Day to the best guy I ever married. (Happy Father's Day to the best guy I could have ever married.)
You have cute kids, but we have no idea where they get it. (Nice family pictures!)

It's weird how my brain leaves out letters and whole words sometimes or completely changes the message other times. I am working on seeing the right message, but sometimes it is hard when I still have trouble believing the good things. Maybe I need some of that opium cereal. It's ten percent off, after all. 

Carter: Mom, I know you might be a little embarrassed about this, but I think you forgot to fix your hair today since it's all fuzzy. (I had fixed it.)

Sadie: A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-P... Wait. N-O-P? N-O-P? No P? No pee? That's funny! No pee! No pee! No pee or poop! No pee or poop!

We had a little time to wait today, while our driver had some business to attend to, before we could pick Carter up from his basketball camp. Preston and Avery were taking turns playing with this little stick that had a ring on one end. (It's like a hula hoop for one leg and a jump rope for the other leg. You jump over it with your other leg when the stick comes around. I have no idea if you can picture it from that description.) They were able to play with it for about ten minutes before they broke the ring off the stick. Instead of getting upset, they surprised me by saying, "Now it's like two toys! The ring works just like a frisbee, and the stick can be our magic scepter." They spent the next half hour happily playing with the broken toy.

Preston used the "magic scepter" as a cane when he pretended to be an old man. He slowly limped with his back hunched over. He came to me a patted me on the knee. "You know, sonny," he said in a pretty good raspy old man voice, "you can't milk a dead cow. It's just a little advice for you youngsters, something I learned from my father, who learned it from his father before him." 

As we were walking back to our car, Preston said, "That toy was pretty much worthless. We probably shouldn't buy junk like that, but it was really fun anyway." I think it was worth the $4.00, especially because he learned the lesson that cheaply made things often aren't worth wasting our money, but also because they had fun and made the best of their broken toy. I thought we would have instant tears when it broke. It's nice to see my kids starting to grow up.

Carter told me a little about his basketball camp today. He said that they had a few kids who got to do "money shots," where if they made the shots, they got actual money. He was chosen, and he got to shoot from really close up, just to the side of the basket. He said the pressure was just too much with 150 kids and all the coaches watching, and he missed his shot. He said it wasn't as bad as one shot he made during the game. He tried a three point shot, and he said it looked like a little kid shooting because he was so far off. He told me these things while he was laughing, which is encouraging. I'm glad to see that he doesn't take things too seriously and that he can laugh about his mistakes.

Sadie did not act mature like my other kids. She acted like a two-year-old.


No comments:

Post a Comment